- most files in /usr/local/vmwire/
- some conf files in /etc/vmware/
- some kernel modules in /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686-smp/misc/
- Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 done
- Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background) done
- Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background) done
- NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 done
start the server -- /usr/local/vmwire/etc/vmware start (might need to move it to /etc/init.d/
start the workstation -- /usr/local/vmwire/bin/vmware
new virtual machine -- click the button and follow the instructions
network option -- nat(guest os uses dhcp and host needs to touch iptables(masquerade)
- first run needs to enter SN (there's a button in menu 'help')
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Ins to send Ctrl+Alt+Del to the guest OS
- Press Ctrl+Alt to switch cursor and keyboard between guest and host OS
This version (above) of vmware doesn't work with kernel 2.6.15-26-386. The file include/linux/file.h was changed.
ubuntu no longer maintains vmware player package. go to http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html to download the tar.gz and install. converting the rpm to deb doesn't work.
unpack the tar.gz and run the vmware-install.pl script. Most stuff is installed relative to /usr/local/. some went to /etc/rc0-6.d and /etc/init.d.
File /etc/vmware/not_configured has to be manually removed every time. For some reason, it appeared repeatedly on the disk.
step "Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0" in /etc/init.d/vmware start failed although vmplayer still runs.
After new kernel is installed, need to recompile vmware kernel modules:
Only linux kernel header files (like in /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/) are needed (no full source code).
Now Blocking file system: failed shows up upon starting VMware services. So /etc/vmware/not_configured has to be manually removed before starting vmplayer.